Defender Interior Insulation / Sound Proofing

IMG_1336IMG_1337

 

 

 

 

 

 

One of the biggest problems people will complain about why they don’t like or wont drive a defender is Road noise or its cold. Ok, its a fair point. Seeing as this is my 3rd defender and im now in my 30’s i was beginning to want a more user friendly vehicle so i decided to insulate the interior and future proof it where possible.

 

One problem I also wanted to get rid of was the fact that i didn’t seem to have a specific floor / barrier and there was water ingress due to seats being removed and holes not being filled. I began by sourcing insulation and removing all the interior from the the front seats back. I lines all the walls and the floor with insulation and used duct tape to mask the joins. after this was complete i sourced 10mm rubber and began to fit it to the floor, footwells and sides of footwells.

IMG_1338
I sourced this from a local rubber company and used one piece and cut it to suit. After this was done i then trimmed and edged the corners with edging for steps. This was quite expensive but i think it made the job look more professional in the end.

IMG_1341 

The result was i had an interior that was dry, clean and easily washable. I had future plans to install a complete kitchen / cooking system and this was the perfect base to work from. I believe this is one of the top things i have done to make the defender a more day to day friendly vehicle. I has also reduced the road noise no end and had made the cabin a quieter place to be while driving.

 

IMG_1346 IMG_1345IMG_1344 IMG_1347 IMG_1348

Roof Tent Refurb

IMG_0956After using my roof tent last summer i never took it down for the winter. When i went camping in the winter i opened it to find it was quite wet and smelled a little of damp. After surveying it I found i had a little rip i the cover that had been letting water in. I decided to completely renew the entire tent in anticipation for the big trip. Having a background as a Carpenter i had the tools and equipment to referb the wood and change the cover.

I also took the opportunity to improve on the original design and add the things to suit my needs. Top priority being lights. I always found getting in and out of the tent was a bit of a chore as i always had a torch or my phone in my hand while getting up and down in the ladder. I also thought since i would be heading for temperatures in the -20’s a little insulation might be a good idea. So i went with a foiled backed insulation that also offered noise canceling properties too. IMG_1201IMG_1198

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_1195IMG_1197A few months previous i installed new LED interior lights and had a few spare in the tool box. i wired 2 of them inside the sent on separate switches and 4 of them under the roof tent meaning that when i am under the tent cooking food or resting in the common area of the tent i have full light and can see what im doing.

 

IMG_0959

 

 

 

Back to the tent – I stripped off the waterproof cover and washed the canvas with a special shampoo to remove any dirt or mildew. After that i placed a space IMG_0975heater inside the tent and allowed it to dry fully. I then applied a water proofing solution (Fabseal) to refresh the waterproof capabilities of the canvas. Once that was applied and cured fully i applied Bee’s Wax directly to all the seems to offer extra protection.

 

 

IMG_0958Once all that was done i took on the job of reapplying the oil skin cover. I used a staple gun to fix the cover to the sub frame. Then re-fixed all the bright work to IMG_1194secure the oil

 

 

 

 

skin. after a little tidying of all the new wiring the roof tent was now better than new with its new lighting and 7 usb chargers on each side of the bed allowing us to charge both mobile hones and both iPads while we were sleeping.

 

 

 

Here are some more pics that i took of the task. Over all it was fairly easy. More elbow grease than skill.

IMG_0860 IMG_0961 IMG_0962 IMG_0963 IMG_0965 IMG_0964 IMG_0966 IMG_0967 IMG_0972 IMG_0973 IMG_1202